Skip to main content

Note:  The information on these webpages is intended only to give readers a general overview of the Minnesota workers' compensation system for educational purposes and should not be construed as offering or providing legal advice.

If you have questions about workers' compensation law, contact the Department of Labor and Industry for more information or consult a lawyer for legal advice.

1. When an employee is injured on the job


If you are injured on the job, notify your employer and seek medical attention, if needed. Report your injury to your supervisor as soon as possible. You may lose the right to workers' compensation benefits if you do not report the injury within timeframes set by law.

Employer, employer's workers' compensation insurer

The employer must complete a First Report of Injury (FROI) form.

2. If there is lost time from work

Employee – no lost time

Even if you have not lost time from work for a work-related injury, you may still be eligible for other benefits, such as medical benefits or rehabilitation benefits.

Employee – lost time

There is a waiting period before benefits may begin.

You will get a copy of insurer's form accepting or denying your claim (see below) that contains information you'll need to know, including:  the claim number, the insurance adjuster's name and phone number, your average weekly wage, the compensation rate, if or when benefits will be initiated, and the specific reason and facts supporting any denial of liability.

Employer, employer's workers' compensation insurer – lost time

If there is lost time, the insurer must accept or deny the claim by filing the Notice of Insurer's Primary Liability Determination form with the state.

3. The insurer accepts or denies the claim

4. The types of benefits available

Helpful resources