Skip to main content

Complete and submit a Municipal Fee and Expense Report online.


View or print the following reports:

  • Permit and valuation report

  • Fee summary report for all sections

  • Fee and expense report for building permits

  • Development related fee and expense report

  • Development related infrastructure report

  • Code adopted municipalities

  • Previously submitted reports


Municipal Fee and Expense Report questions and answers

When is this report due?

  • Municipalities must file a Municipal Fee and Expense Report each year by June 30 for the preceding calendar year.

Does our municipality have to submit a Municipal Fee and Expense Report?

  • All municipalities that adopt and enforce the State Building Code, regardless of population, are required to complete and submit a Municipal Fee and Expense Report to the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DLI).

How can I check if our municipality has adopted the State Building Code?

  • Visit the State Building Code Jurisdiction Directory lookup and enter your city, township or county. If YES is displayed for “HAS ADOPTED THE BUILDING CODE” then your municipality is required to submit a Municipal Fee and Expense Report. 

    • If you entered “county” only then every jurisdiction in that county will display alphabetically – select Next at the bottom of the page to view each municipality’s information.

  • You can also view or export a report for Code adopted municipalities.

How can I check if our county submits a Municipal Fee and Expense Report on our behalf?

  • Contact your county.

Can I see a previously submitted report?

  • Yes, go to View or print the following reports and select “Previously submitted reports.”

  • Enter the name of your municipality.

  • Select “Details & Reports” next to your municipality.

  • Under “Previous Reports” use the “Select” button to view.

Section III – Fee Revenue and Expenses Associated with Building Code Enforcement

Line 6:  Building Permits

What should be included in Line 6? Include work related to building permits. For example:

  • Building demolition? Yes

  • Buildings?  Yes

  • Decks? Yes, if over 30 inches above grade or attached to a structure

  • Detached garages? Yes

  • Excavation? Generally, no

  • Fences? No

  • Outbuildings? (sheds, playhouses) Yes, if over 200 square feet

  • Pool construction? In-ground yes; Above-ground only if over 5,000 gallons and 24-inches deep

  • Remodeling for paint, tiling, carpet, cabinets, countertops, flooring, and similar finish?  No

  • Retaining walls? Yes, if over 4 feet in height from footing to top of wall

  • Roof coverings (shingles, rolled roofing, etc.) Yes

  • Sidewalks/driveways? No

  • Siding? Yes

  • Signs? Yes      

Lines 11 to 14:

  • When consultants or contracted inspectors are used for building code enforcement, expenses for travel, office space, supplies, equipment, and administrative overhead are all reflected in the fees paid to the consultants shown in Line 10 and should not be included in Lines 11, 12, 13, or 14.

Line 12:  Office Space

  • Include a rough cost estimate of office space used for building code enforcement and support. If you don’t have office space allocated for building code enforcement, then you don’t need to enter anything. 

Section IV – Fee Revenue and Expenses Associated with Development

Lines 18 and 23:  Planning and Zoning

  • Record all planning and zoning expenses, including salaries and benefits related to planning and zoning expenses. Also include planning department expenditures and costs such as services provided for building, utilities, finance, human resources, information technology, and engineering.

Section V – Fee Revenue and Capital Expenditures Associated with Development-Related Infrastructure

Line 32:

Identify and record all other infrastructure-related expenses, including debt-service expenditures for infrastructure projects that are paid from development-related revenue sources and public works department-incurred expenses for municipal-installed improvements, including indirect overhead. If the expenses are related to a specific development, include them here. Do not include expenses related to maintenance of existing utilities.