Skip to main content

Already have what you need to complete an application or renewal? Visit iMS, the department’s online application and renewal system, to get started

The information below will help you complete the application or renewal successfully.

Registration for unlicensed water conditioning installer

Anyone performing water conditioning work in Minnesota must be licensed by our agency or be a registered unlicensed plumber or water conditioning installer. The fee for an initial registration as a registered unlicensed water conditioning installer is $14. 

Registrations expire June 30 and must be renewed annually. A $5 late fee is assessed on all late registrations.

A registered unlicensed water conditioning installer can take the journeyworker water conditioning license exam after completing 875 hours of practical water conditioning installing, servicing or training experience as a registered unlicensed water conditioning installer employed by a licensed plumbing contractor or water conditioning contractor. An individual may receive credit for up to 100 hours of work experience gained prior to becoming registered as long as the work experience occurred within 12 months of the individual becoming registered.

All water conditioning work performed by an unlicensed water conditioning installer must be performed under the direct on-site supervision of  a licensed journey worker,  master plumber, restricted journey worker, restricted master plumber, licensed journey worker or master water conditioning worker.

Secretary of State filing

  • To renew your license, your corporate, LLC or assumed name filing with the Secretary of State must be up-to-date.

  • On all renewal forms, especially your bond and insurance certificates, your business name must appear EXACTLY as it is filed with the Secretary of State.

  • Check the status of your Secretary of State filing here and update it if necessary.

  • If you have changed your business structure (going from a sole proprietorship to an LLC or corporation, or from a corporation to an LLC), you will need to apply for a new license for your new business entity.

Bond issues

To ensure that your renewal is processed without delay, please review these items relating to the required $3,000 surety bond:

  • Be sure your insurance agent has used the correct bond form.

  • The name of your company must be listed on the bond exactly the same way it appears on your license (which must be the same way it is filed with the Secretary of State).

  • An owner or officer of your company must sign the bond in front of a notary public:

  • The notary public must verify the signature of your company's owner or officer in the appropriate "Acknowledgment of Principal" section on the second page of the bond form (Section A for individual proprietors, partnerships and LLCs, or Section B for corporations -- Section C must be completed by the surety company):

  • A power of attorney form completed by the bonding company must be attached to the bond.

Online renewal

  • Renew your license online here

  • You can review the information we have on file for your company, make changes and pay the renewal fee, all online.

  • Renewal fees cannot be paid over the telephone.

  • Your original bond forms will still have to be mailed to our agency at 443 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55115. 

  • If we don't have current liability insurance information for your company, you will need to submit a current insurance certificate. Insurance certificates can be emailed to

Paper renewal

  • License renewals can be submitted by mail or in person.

  • Mailed or delivered renewals must include all of the forms included in this packet.

  • Make sure you have all of the required forms including the original bond form (and power of attorney form) completed before mailing or delivering the application.

  • Secretary of State filing must be current - provide proof that your business filing is active. A hard copy of the page on the Secretary of State's website showing the business filing is sufficient.

  • Providing an email address helps us communicate with you immediately if there is an issue with your renewal, allowing your application to be processed as quickly as possible.



Contact us at 651-284-5034 or