Skip to main content

File a wage claim

Employees terminated, discharged or fired are due all wages and commissions with 24 hours of a written demand for payment.

Employees who voluntarily leave employment (quit) are due all wages and commissions on the next regularly scheduled payday. If the payday is within five days of the last day of work, the employer has up to 20 days to make final payment.

  • View/print:  Final pay laws and wage claim process – English | Spanish

Demanding your final wages

You can take the following steps to obtain your final wages. 

  1. Write a letter to your former employer demanding your wages. The Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DLI) has prepared a sample letter for those who have quit a job and for those who have been terminated from a job. You may want to use certified mail so you know when the employer received your letter.

  2. If your employer does not pay you after receiving your letter, contact the Labor Standards unit to file a wage claim. The following information will be requested:
    – the employer's name, address, telephone number and the manager or owner's name;
    – the date of your last day of work;
    – the date you demanded your final wages; and
    – the amount you are due in final wages.

  3. Employees also have the option of filing a claim in court if the employer does not pay final wages as required under Minnesota law.

    – In addition to final wages due, employees may also recover one day of average wages for each day the employer is late in paying (up to 15 days).

For more information or to file a wage claim

Contact us at, 651-284-5075 or 800-342-5354.