Skip to main content

What is a sign contractor bond?

  • Cities that license sign contractors require a bond to issue a license.

  • The bond is an insurance contract between the contractor and the surety (bonding) company.

  • The bond provides protection for the sign contractor’s customers and the cities.

Do I need a state bond?

  • To obtain city licenses you must file a bond with each city, or file a bond with us.

  • If you file a bond with us, the cities cannot require you to file a separate bond with them.

How do I file a state bond?

  • Contact your insurance agent to find out how to obtain a bond.

  • Download the sign contractor bond forms.

  • Once you receive the bond back from your insurance agent, sign it in front of a notary and mail it to us along with all the completed application forms and filing fee.

  • Be sure to keep copies for your records.

What happens next?

  • Once we process your application, your company’s name will appear in our online database.

  • Cities will use this lookup to verify your bonding status so you can get your city licenses.

  • You will need to file a renewal every two years.



Contact us at 651-284-5034 or