Skip to main content

Already have what you need to complete an application or renewal? Visit iMS, the department’s online application and renewal system, to get started

The information below will help you complete the application or renewal successfully.

Businesses and individuals that contract to perform plumbing work in Minnesota must have a plumbing contractor license or a restricted plumbing contractor license.

  • Plumbing systems include all potable water, building supply, and distribution pipes; all plumbing fixtures and traps; all drainage and vent pipes; and all building drains and building sewers, including their respective joints and connections, devices, receptors, and appurtenances within the property lines of the premises and includes potable water piping, potable water treating or using equipment, and nonpotable water piping serving plumbing fixtures.

  • A plumbing contractor license is required for plumbing work in Minnesota communities with a population over 5,000.

  • Plumbing work in communities with a population less than 5,000 may be performed by employees of a licensed restricted plumbing contractor.

  • Restricted plumbing contractors cannot contract to perform work in communities with a population over 5,000.

  • Employees of a licensed plumbing contractor are not required to have their own plumbing contractor license.

  • Employees who perform plumbing work must be licensed as a journeyworker plumber, master plumber, registered with DLI as a registered unlicensed plumber, or enrolled in a registered plumbing apprenticeship program.

  • General contractors and construction management firms that contract with licensed subcontractors to perform plumbing work are not required to have their own plumbing contractor license.

What do I need to get a plumbing contractor license?

1. Identify a responsible licensed individual for your company’s license. Your responsible licensed individual must:

  • Hold an active master plumber license, and

  • Be an owner, officer, or member of the business applying for the license, or a W-2 employee who is actively engaged in the company’s plumbing work and cannot be employed as a plumber by any other contractor.

  • Not be the responsible licensed individual for any other plumbing contractor,

  • Be responsible for all plumbing work performed by the company’s employees.

2. Provide proof of public liability and workers’ compensation insurance

Your license will not be approved unless we have current information on your liability insurance policy and your compliance with Minnesota’s workers’ compensation insurance requirements. Policies must be written by an insurance companies licensed to sell insurance in Minnesota. Proof of liability insurance can be an ACORD certificate or a DLI-approved certificate.

  • Be sure your business name appears on the insurance certificate EXACTLY as it appears on your Secretary of State business filing.

  • Insurance certificates must be produced and signed by a licensed insurance agent.

  • Be sure the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry is listed as a “certificate holder” on the certificate.

  • Policy must provide coverage for “premises, operations and products, and completed operations.”

  • Policy must provide products liability insurance with limits of at least $50,000 per person and $100,000 per occurrence and property damage insurance with limits of at least $10,000.

  • You will be asked to upload the completed insurance certificate during the online license application process

Proof of workers’ compensation insurance must be provided on a DLI-approved form.

  • You will be asked to upload the completed form during the online license application.

Liability insurance certificates and workers’ comp compliance forms can also be emailed to

3. Provide a $25,000 surety bond

  • Bond must be on a DLI-approved form.

  • Bond must be written by a corporate surety licensed to do business in Minnesota.

4. Provide a disclosure of business owners, partners, officers and members

  • Disclosure must be on a DLI-approved form.

  • Not providing complete information will slow the review and approval process.

5. Submit the required license application forms and pay the license application fee

What are my responsibilities as a licensed plumbing contractor?

  • Ensure that all employees who perform plumbing work are always actively licensed as a plumber or registered with DLI as a registered unlicensed plumber. View information about how to look up licenses and registrations

  • Ensure that unlicensed employees are always supervised by a licensed journeyworker or master plumber. Unlicensed workers can only be supervised by a licensed plumber employed by the same employer.

  • Obtain plumbing permits and submit plumbing plans for review when required at or prior to the commencement of all plumbing work. View

  • Call for required inspections when work is ready to be inspected. Find a state plumbing inspector.

  • Respond in a timely manner to requests for information from DLI staff and plumbing inspectors.

  • Maintain accurate records of the work experience of unlicensed employees performing plumbing work and provide those records upon request.

  • Notify DLI in writing within 15 days of the loss of your responsible licensed individual.

  • Make sure your company’s license number appears on all company vehicles.

  • Ensure your contractor license is renewed in a timely manner. Plumbing contractor licenses expire on December 31 of odd-numbered years.

What is direct supervision?

Minnesota’s plumbing laws require that unlicensed plumbers be directly supervised by a licensed plumber. Minn. Stat. 326B.42, subd. 2, defines direct supervision:

  • At all times while the plumber's apprentice or registered unlicensed individual is performing plumbing work, the supervising plumber is present at the location where the plumber's apprentice or registered unlicensed individual is working;

  • The supervising plumber is physically present and immediately available to the plumber's apprentice or registered unlicensed individual at all times for assistance and direction;

  • Electronic supervision does not meet the requirement of physically present;

  • The supervising plumber reviews the plumbing work performed by the plumber's apprentice or registered unlicensed individual before the plumbing is operated; and

  • The supervising plumber is able to determine that plumbing work performed by the plumber's apprentice or registered unlicensed individual is performed in compliance with the plumbing code.

Where can I find information about personal licensing requirements?

View information about Minnesota's personal plumbing licensing requirements.


Contact us at or 651-284-5034.