Skip to main content
To perform water and sewer pipe‐laying work, Minnesota law requires individuals to obtain a plumbing bond or be an employee of a person in compliance with the bond and insurance requirements of Minn. Stat. §326B.46, subd. 2. Individuals performing building sewer or water service installation are not required to hold a plumbers license if they have completed pipe‐laying training. Best practices The following are best practices for water and sewer pipe‐laying training:
Do you perform septic system work? Contractors who install subsurface sewage treatment systems (SSTS) are licensed by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA). Contractors licensed by MPCA don't need to file a pipe-laying bond with us. They will file their bond with MPCA only. If you are licensed by MPCA, do not renew your bond with us. Submit your $25,000 SSTS bond to MPCA. What if I don't do septic system work?
Categories: bond renewal, pip-laying bond, bond issues, contractors
In Minnesota, everyone engaged in the business of interior plumbing installations must be licensed plumbers or registered apprentices.  No person, firm or corporation can plan or install, nor install plumbing in connection with the dealing in and selling of plumbing material and supplies unless  --  at all times -- a plumbing contractor, a licensed master plumber or restricted master plumber, who is responsible for proper installation, oversees the plumbing work.
Categories: plumbing plan, plumbing plan review, licensure requirement, licensed journeyman, pipelayers
To renew, you will need your registration (IR) number and the last four digits of the Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or Social Security Number that you provided with your initial registration. Many contractors registered more than once. If you have multiple registrations, only renew one.. If you have a license or have filed a bond (pipelaying, mechanical contractor or sign contractor) with us, you do not need to renew your IR registration.
Protect your health and property when having plumbing work done Hiring a licensed, bonded and insured plumber can help protect homeowners from non-complying work, costly errors, accidents, physical injury and improper plumbing installations. These potential problems can lead to property damage and adverse health effects to building occupants.
Categories: licensing, consumer information, Department of Labor and Industry, journeyman plumber, master plumber, complaint, apprentice plumber.
  Apply or renew licenses and registrations online. Plumbing contractor, restricted contractor and registered employer Plumbing contractor license renewal
Categories: Plumbing contractors, plumbing applications, plumbing forms, plumbing plan review requirements, complaint form
What is a business structure change? A business structure change occurs when one legal business structure replaces another legal business structure to contract for and perform licensed work. These changes require applying for a new license for the new business entity. A business structure changes when an individual/sole proprietor creates a limited liability company (LLC) or corporation to handle his/her licensed business/contractor activities.
View information about license work experience requirements.