A registered unlicensed individual is limited to performing electrical work:
- within the scope of the employer's authority to perform the electrical work; and
- under the supervision of an individual licensed to perform the electrical work; and
- when the licensed and registered unlicensed individuals are employed by the same contractor or employer
NOTE: Electrical work is defined as the installing, altering, repairing, planning, or laying out of electrical wiring, apparatus, or equipment for electrical light, heat, power, technology circuits or systems, or other purposes.
Requirements and Qualifications
- At least 17 years old.
- Must be registered as unlicensed individual if performing electrical work required to be performed by a licensed individual.
- Must report annual electrical work experience when renewing registration.
- Must complete two (2) hours of continuing education on the electrical code for annual renewal of registration.
- Prohibited from performing electrical work without direct supervision.
- $19 - new registration electrical
- $29 - renew registration electrical (not expired)
- $34 - renew registration electrical (expired)
- $34 - reinstate registration electrical (expired more than 12 months)
Length of registration
- One year; registration expires on the last day of the month of the new registration.
- Properly completed applications are processed in a timely manner. All required applicant information must be provided for the application to be processed.
- No examination is required.
- Note: Electrical work experience earned after Jan. 1, 2009, qualifies toward an individual's license examination requirements only if registered.
- Two (2) hours National Electrical Code annually
Complaints and enforcement
- The department investigates complaints and reported violations of licensing laws. Offenders are subject to disciplinary action including the assessment of monetary penalties and the denial, suspension, or revocation of licenses.
Statutes and rules
Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry
Attn: CCLD Licensing and Certification Services
443 Lafayette Road N
Saint Paul, MN 55155