Unlicensed individual: elevator
A registered unlicensed individual performing elevator work is limited to performing elevator work:
1.) within the scope of the employer's authority to perform elevator work; and
2.) under the direct supervision of a licensed individual within the scope of the supervisor's authority to perform elevator work.
NOTE: Work includes installing or maintaining elevator wiring, apparatus, equipment, elevators and technology systems and circuits.
Requirements and Qualifications
- At least 17 years old.
- Must be registered as unlicensed individual if performing elevator work required to be performed by a licensed individual.
- Must report annual elevator work experience when renewing registration.
- Must complete two (2) hours of continuing education on the National Elevator Code for annual renewal of registration.
- Prohibited from performing elevator work without direct supervision.
- $15 - new registration
- $25 - renew registration (not expired)
- $30 - renew registration (expired)
- $25 reinstate registration (expired more than 12 months)
Length of registration
- One year; registration expires on the last day of the month of the new registration.
- Properly completed applications are processed in a timely manner. All required applicant information must be provided for the application to be processed.
- No examination is required.
- Two (2) hours National Elevator Code annually.
- Hours must be earned before registration expires.
Complaints and enforcement
- The department investigates complaints and reported violations of licensing laws. Offenders are subject to disciplinary action including the assessment of monetary penalties and the denial, suspension, or revocation of licenses.
Statutes and rules
Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry
Attn: CCLD Licensing and Certification Services
443 Lafayette Road N
Saint Paul, MN 55155