Boilers - Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I go to acquire a boiler operator's license?
Tests are conducted in the Pine Room at the Department of Labor and Industry, 443 Lafayette Road N., St. Paul, MN 55155.
All applications and affidavits for boiler operator licensing must be accompanied by a $50 exam application fee and must be approved before scheduling to take the exam. Call (651) 284-5031 for more information regarding the new license procedures.
What should I study to prepare for a boiler operator license exam?
- The division does not distribute study materials.
- Contact your nearest technical college for classes or resource materials.
- Contact a library or book store for the appropriate books.
The following books have been useful to boiler operators:
- Low pressure boilers, second edition, by Frederick M. Steingress
- High pressure boilers by Frederick M. Steingress and Harold J. Frost
- Standard heating and power plant questions and answers by Stephen Michael Elonka and Anthony Lawrence Kohan
- Steam plant operation, fifth or sixth edition, by Woodruff, Herbert B. Lammers and Thomas F. Lammers.
Does Minnesota have a reciprocity agreement with any other states regarding boiler operator licenses?
How many classes of licenses are issued by the Boiler Division of Code Administration and Inspection Services?
There are 10 commercial licenses for the operation of low- and high-pressure boilers, one historical license for the operation of steam traction engines and one pilot's license for the operation of boats-for-hire used on Minnesota's inland waters. The 10 commercial license classifications are:
- chief engineer -- classes A, B or C;
- first class engineer -- classes A, B or C;
- second class engineer -- classes A, B or C; and
- special engineer.
What is an exemption certificate?
Exemption certificates are issued to each boiler or pressure vessel that has been inspected by the insurance carrier.
The National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors Web site includes standards interpretation, testing and member information, and training opportunities.