Unlicensed individual (electrical, elevator and power limited)
A registered unlicensed individual performing electrical work is limited to performing electrical work:
1.) within the scope of the employer's authority to perform electrical work; and
2.) under the direct supervision of a licensed individual within the scope of the supervisor's authority to perform electrical work.
NOTE: Electrical work includes installing or maintaining electrical wiring, apparatus, equipment, elevators and technology systems and circuits.
Requirements and Qualifications
- At least 17 years old.
- Must be registered as unlicensed individual if performing electrical work required to be performed by a licensed individual.
- Must report annual electrical work experience when renewing registration.
- Must complete two (2) hours of continuing education on the electrical code for annual renewal of registration.
- Prohibited from performing electrical work without direct supervision.
- $19 - new registration
- $29 - renew registration (not expired)
- $34 - renew registration (expired)
- $29 - reinstate registration (expired more than 12 months)
Length of registration
- One year; registration expires on the last day of the month of the new registration.
- Properly completed applications are processed in a timely manner. All required applicant information must be provided for the application to be processed.
- No examination is required.
- Note: Electrical work experience earned after Jan. 1, 2009, qualifies toward an individual's license examination requirements only if registered.
- Two (2) hours National Electrical Code annually
Complaints and enforcement
- The department investigates complaints and reported violations of licensing laws. Offenders are subject to disciplinary action including the assessment of monetary penalties and the denial, suspension, or revocation of licenses.
Statutes and rules
Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry
Attn: CCLD Licensing and Certification Services
443 Lafayette Road N
Saint Paul, MN 55155